Christian Science nurses make visits to the homes of individual clients in order to bless, bringing comfort and encouragement to those in need. Each home visit lasts no longer than 2 hours. The Christian Science nurse always maintains a spiritual altitude of thought, accepting each case with the expectance of complete and immediate healing. Care-giving is always consistent with the theology and ethics of Christian Science. Specific services provided by the nurse include:
- Reading with or to an individual from the Bible; Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures and other writings by Mary Baker Eddy; and other publications from The Christian Science Publishing Society
- Communicating with the patient’s Christian Science practitioner and family to keep them informed of progress in a timely manner
- Encouraging and supporting normal daily activities
- Dressing and bandaging of wounds
- Assisting with mobility needs
- Bathing, shampooing, nail/oral care
- Preparing food, assisting with eating, giving appropriate encouragement for eating
- Caring for newborns and infants
- Instructing family or friends in how to assist
We are grateful to have two full-time Christian Science nurses, plus the services of several who are part-time. All of our Christian Science nurses have completed training at a Christian Science nursing facility, and they are listed in the Christian Science Nurses Directory of The Christian Science Journal and in the on-line directory found on the web site ChristianScience.com.
Here are some services we are NOT able to provide:
- We do not provide transportation to appointments, to the market, or to a Christian Science nursing facility; that is, we cannot provide a taxi service.
- We do not give advice regarding medical care.
- We do not look after pets.
- We cannot be a substitute for a live-in care-giver.